Monday 17 June 2013

Driving the Superior

 
As many of you know my husband and I have recently moved  to a Northern Ontario community.
 It is located almost exactly half way between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay.
If we want to shop in the 'Big' city we have to drive five hours to one city or the other.
 We opted for Thunder Bay this time.
 

The scenery is gorgeous as you drive along the lake.
There are many high cliffs or what I call mini-mountains!
When we arrived we booked a room at The Prince Arthur.
It's a historic hotel located near the waterfront in the old downtown of Thunder Bay.
My husband always wanted to stay at The Prince Arthur
and now he can say that he has.
We had a beautiful view of the harbour and waterfront from our hotel window.
We later walked the over-pass and toured the park just like we often did when we had lived there several years ago.
Here is a close-up of the lighthouse.
You can see from this photo what a gorgeous day it was there Saturday.




This is a photo of the Sleeping Giant.
 I wasn't able to take my own because it was cloud covered while we were there.
The Sleeping Giant is Thunder Bay's 50 million ton mascot!
The Ojibway people, who have made Lake Superior their home for over 500 years, identify the Sleeping Giant as Nanabijou.
Ojibway legend has it that Nanabijou was turned to stone when the secret location of a rich silver mine was disclosed.
If you are looking for a summer vacation, the Circle Tour around Lake Superior has fabulous scenery.
 I like it in both the summer and the fall when the foliage colours are so vibrant.
*************************************************************************************
I couldn't close without showing you a photo of the most patient man in the world.
 Well, at least he was on Saturday!
My MIL and I dragged him through two Salvation Army shops, a Value Village store, Canadian Tire, The Home Depot, The Home Store, Dollarama,  and then on to The Hoito to eat.
Finally, after hours at Wal-Mart I ask him if he would mind running over to Chapters for me to buy a book I had picked out for him for Father's Day.
He was more than happy to oblige.
All in all he's a pretty good guy, I think.
I hope you all had a good Father's Day weekend as well.
                                                      Blessings-Kimberly





25 comments:

  1. What gorgeous scenery. Five hours to a major city...that is quite a drive. I don't blame you for going through allllll the stores.
    And Kudos to your hubby for obliging you and your MIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. our son works in Nakina so I know this highway well, you have a great husband and he is very handsome as well, we are both lucky to have handsome bearded men!Sounds like a wonderful shopping excursion!Beautiful photos, its wonderful country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous scenery. Your hubby is very special and patient. Sounds like a keeper!!! Looks like you had a lovely week end.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. That scenery is fabulous...thank goodness, especially with a 5 hr. drive to town, Wow!

    Your sweet husband is a saint, very patient indeed. I'd say he is a keeper, hehe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband sounds like a wonderful man! I grew up in Michigan and we were a camping family. One summer we spent camping as we drove all the way around Lake Superior. The landscape is beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! 5 hours to the city?
    The country side is beautiful ...love that you got to stay at the hotel...it all sounds fun. Your hubby sounds like a swell fella...:)
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimberly, the scenery is stunning, hotel is a dream, and the super Dude!!! What a day, visiting all those wonderful places, I would want to stay for a week, and stock up on "goodies". Greetings from Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos, great hubby :-)


    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my the scenery was just gorgeous! And the hotel! Oh my...but the hubby is just the icing...what a guy. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning, beautiful scenery, I enjoyed my stay years back in Thunder.Bay......What a wonderful Hubby, Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He does look rather saintly! Gosh, five hours either way to the city? It's the life for the truly hardy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you stocked up,onnall neccessities!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a beautiful area for sure.
    I am glad you all had a good time shopping in the thrifts did you get any goodies.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful scenery Kimberly. I've never been through that part of Ontario (only Ottawa to Toronto and east) but I know it's spectacular there. Tim is a very patient man. Murray would come in the stores with me, look around, then hover around me until I'm done. :) Usually I'm "done" before I really want to be!! Did you find any goodies at the thrift stores? I hope you have a great week. Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful! I can't wait to see your new place. Lovely area.

    Hubby is a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful trip. I have been to Sault Ste. Marie so at least I know where you are in my head now. I never could place it before.
    I have forgotten how beautiful it is until I saw your photos.
    Seeing that photo of that lighthouse is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How beautiful. I think several, maybe all, of the Great Lakes have circle tours and we've seen enough bits and pieces of each to want to do them all. So much to see...so little time! Thanks for giving me a glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Definitely you've got a keeper there! Handsome, patient AND willing to drag around the op-shops? Yes, a keeper!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your handsome hubby is more patient than mine would be! :) I love the beautiful scenery in your photos. That harbor shot is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow wee 5 hours -- gee oh my!!! Glad you to know you got out for a nice get-a-way -- was the Prince Arthur comfortable -- cause some time those old buildings are not so.. just wondering..
    lovely photos -- makes me want to take a trip!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! Your pictures are post card perfect.

    So you had to stay over? How fun is that! Shopping and a lovely hotel.

    Not only patient but handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely! We traveled through this part of Canada many years ago - it is so beautiful!

    Your husband is very patient! My husband would have headed to the bookstore for the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So scenic! Lovely pictures. Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Three cheers for a shopping spree, staying in a lovely hotel, and your patient (and handsome) husband!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, Kimberly!! I went to 2nd and 3rd grade in what is now Thunder Bay, then Port Arthur and Fort William! The Sleeping Giant was the backdrop to it all and I secretly dreamed of being married with a HUGE, fancy reception at the Prince Arthur!! Thanks for the time travel. Glad you had a lovely trip and your sweet hubby got to do something fun too!! V

    ReplyDelete

All of your comments are read and much appreciated.
You are dear and lovely friends!